Sunday, August 23, 2009

the inspiring jim maclaren


"Live each moment like it's the last moment in your life."
- Jim MacLaren



pics credit to : http://www.jimmaclaren.com/about.htm

i was mostly inspired by his life story when i caught on him in the book i've read "You've got to read this book" by Jack Canfield, the co creator of the chicken soup series and Gay Hendricks. Jim was a former football player survived a two nearly fatal accidents, first had caused him to lose a leg and had become a incomplete quadriplegic as a result from the second.

he had never given up and refuse to feel sorry for himself. after the first accident he made himself a top marathoner becoming the fastest one legged man in the world.
( tak semua orang begitu. kita mudah mengaku kalah dan walau kita sempurna, kita tak pernah bersyukur dan cuba mencapai potensi diri kita. orang yang kurang upaya macam Jim boleh ' push himself to achieve what he wants to do far more better than those unlike him , yang cukup pancainderanya )

and how bad can it be, he met with another accident. hit by a van when he was in the middle of a bicycle competition. it is a really difficult time for him, he is in constant pain of the condition he's in. that doesn't stop him still. he had become a motivational speaker and also a doctoral candidate.

he said he can easily become bitter and sorry for himself but he was able to redirect the fierce energy to do and accomplish when he got a book he read shortly after his 2nd accident as he struggled to rebuilt his life again. the passion of the western mind: understanding the ideas that has shaped our world view, by Richard Tarnas. Described as an explanation and discussion of western thought from greeks to the present. " I saw that human beings have been searching for life's meaning for a very long time"

he looks at the situation in a positives aspect. ( look at the glass as half full ). " now because of my physical limitations, i had the opportunity to focus deeply on the one thing in life that is worth doing"

he enroll in a writing workshop, went to a graduate school. " my body has been effectively taken away from me- in two installments- but my mind and heart were more than intact, and I used them to explore the depths of my own personality and being"

I am moved by this- " today it is enough to engage with another person, to meditate or write or speak or learn something, for me to feel good about the day. If I simply reflect on my life, the day, this moment, or the beautyof the sun that I am sitting in right now, I am satisfied"

"there are two things I do know: one, we can never know what our lives are going to look like, and two, as long as we accept what happens to us and move forward, we will always be okay. For I have no doubt that unless we fight it, we are always moving toward a better, more whole state of being "

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Widget by LinkWithin